Mothers don't let your daughters grow up to be Cowboys


Yes that is me at seventeen competing in the Western Trail at the Helensville Agricultural & Pastoral Show in 1981 on a horse that bucked everyone off, a borrowed saddle, boots and hat. The jeans and the shirt were mine at least. The horse I rode was named was Timmy, eventually I bought him from his owners a couple of years later. He was such a neat little guy. I got a second prize would you believe even though I had only just started to learn Western and had dreams of going to Arizona marrying a rancher and settling down to raise a family. No it never happened as you know I'm still here in the country of my birth and a place of my own and yes I still do ride western - much improved since those days as you can see from the photo!

Comments

  1. Looks like you're having as much fun cruisin' through the family photo albums as you did riding that horse, dear friend. Good to see -- and that's another cool pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many photos I decided it was time to digitise some of them. I had a good day that day and got plenty of ribbons. Mostly thirds anyway that is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool bananas! This wasn't the horse that took off with your top was it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy you are soooo rude!!! No it wasn't I'll find a photo of the one that did that and post it up later rather sooner - trust me to be...honest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz, Do you still do the shows I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't for about five years. I might show again once I get a decent horse sorted out that is. I used to show an Arab Stallion for some friends of mine - but not in western. Got right into dressage at one stage. Time now has been the factor that's kept me out of the show ring these days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts