How it looked in the fifties on Pet day in Maungaturoto



Our School Pet Day sadly ended up being postponed because of the weather turning lousy. the kids are looking forward to this coming Friday to finally get a chance to make good on all the hard work they have done with their calves. I'll never hear the end of it if the rain shows up and spoils it yet again. I'm currently digitising some of the local Maungaturoto History books. I found this image of Calf Club day at Maungaturoto Primary taken in the 1950's. Gymn frocks - oh no!!! You don't see those any more thank goodness. I've included a photo from last year's Pet Day in 2007 for a comparison. How times have changed

Comments

  1. Way cool. I vaguely remember Pet Days being organised at Avondale Primary where I went to school -- something unusual for an urban school, but probably a throwback to when we were out in the sticks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's me supposed to be heading to Helensville and I'm blogging. Kids aren't motivated right now so we'll get there sometime today. I remember Calf Club at Henderson North Primary just once when I was five then it stopped. Urbanisation took care of that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is that? Not much has changed, except for fashion huh? LOL I wish my kids had a day like this at their schools! It would be so much fun! Good luck next week, hope the girls get to show and that M is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, it's no longer the same. Pet Day at a school in the middle of Yuppie-ville: designer chihuahuas and a topiary section for the clipped poodles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness where on earth did you find it? cool bananas...I wonder if some of the same teachers were there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally back after sorting out stock and electric fences.

    Things have changed. I got that photo out of the History of the Maungaturoto Primary School 1973. It was just too good not to put it up. Ag day pet day it's all the same name. Just nice for the kids to have that day with the animals and have fun. Designer chihuahuas!!!That's funny!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts