Another unwanted Miniature horse arrives (sigh)


Last week I had a call from Janet, who asked me if I could take in a three year old black miniature horse filly.  Gillian had picked the little horse up last Sunday as a possible companion for another horse. But, sadly Shadow, as she was then called, turned out to be both a biter and a kicker. I'm well used to problem horses, which most people would give up on within a very short space of time. So I took her in. She arrived last Thursday. A very angry, scared little horse with not much prospect and an even worse background to go with her sad story.


From the above photo you can see what I meant about biting and kicking. I got this just as she was trying to intimidate Ranger into moving away from the hay, so she could have it instead. We've renamed her "Shadia" which means beautiful song in Arabic. I'm doing this post as a warning to potential buyers of these little horses, who may not have owned a horse before. Shadia's behaviour is the result of ignorance and abuse. Her background is a sad one. She has been from owner to owner, one of which allegedly ill-treated her. I'm now the sixth home she has been to and it will be her last stop. Take some sound advice. NEVER buy a young horse no matter how quiet they may appear or well handled they seem. Unless you know what you are doing always buy an older horse of no less than 6 to 7 years old that's been around the block. Mini foals are very appealing and cute to look at. They can also end up developing bad habits, because they get spoilt, and then they end up thrown in a paddock and left like this filly has been. I'm hot on this subject right now. I'm asking the question why have I ended up with a very sad case to sort out. The truth is she shouldn't be here, but now because of ignorance Shadia has come to our farm to be cured. She's going to be a challenge.


 We have got somewhere already in a short time. This is her this morning. Take a good look at the white showing her eye. She's very scared, uncertain but she came to me and that is a very good start. I gave her some hay and an apple for her brave step today. Ranger has already taught Shadia her place in the group. Right now he is keeping her out of the herd. She has to now behave herself if she wants to rejoin the group. I think she has found that finding her place in this world is going to take some hard work. One step at a time. I'll keep her progress updated as we go. This horse is going to be a lot of work to sort out.

Comments

Popular Posts