Free to a good home




In 2005 I had been on the farm for six months and somehow it lacked something. We had one cow here and it wasn't ours. It was June just coming into winter and the last thing on my mind then was getting a horse. Then an advert appeared in the local newspaper. Free to a good home. Horse 15.1hh aged. etc. Inaya saw it and desperately implored Mum to ring up about it. I hesitated but okay why not the chances of even getting it were zero anyway - so what did I have to lose? Nothing of course. So I rang and sure enough heaps of people were interested. I left Brian and Elaine my number then completely forgot all about it. Two weeks later the phone rings. It's Brian asking if I still wanted the horse. I said yes then realised later I didn't have a trailer to put the horse in it. Neighbours came to the rescue. So with two kids in the four wheel drive, trailer hooked on the back off we went for over sixty miles to pick up the horse. We made it - but the horse we thought we were going to get had already gone. We were introduced to a muddy but friendly first cross quarter horse named Edward. He was 23years old. Perhaps too old but the kids didn't want the alternative for him and that was Brian's gun. So we took him home. We've had him ever since. Ed is now 28 years old healthy and happy. He's a great ride too sometimes a little frisky - he stag leaps now and then then remembers his age and settles down. The kids love him and so do I and that's the story of our old man. Hope you liked it.

Comments

  1. How wonderful for him! Sometimes when we think we are getting one thing, and we get another, its just an answered prayer! For you and the horse! He needed you guys, and I'm sure he has given you all joy every day!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An oldie but a goodie as they say. He's neat a bit naughty sometimes but we wouldn't be without him for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh so this is the infamous Ed. Renee has gone one about him - hes lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy Renee thought all her christmases; had come at once when I put her on his back. He is lovely and safe for the kids which is good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts