Whakapirau Beach


To deny we're not spoilt for choice when it comes to beaches would mean being told to get a life. Just ten minutes from our farm is beautiful Whakapirau Beach. It's a quiet little settlement located on the eastern reaches of the Kaipara Harbour. During the summer the kids and I love to go down in the afternoon and just chill out. Usually there's someone there we know. I always take my visual diary and scribbling away to my heart's content, while the girls take a swim or jump on the big rope swing tied to a big old macrocarpa tree down the Southern end of the beach. Every January they hold a regatta at adjoining Pahi. Everyone with a boat turns up and has a great time and probably one too many drinks in the process. (I'm not actually serious). A lot of history has happened in the area including a Maori war, a vineyard, a timber mill and a Dairy Company just by where the wharf is in the photo. Whakapirau itself means literally "Stinking Waters" This was due to the battle between Maori Tribes that occured there in the earlier part of the 19th Century. Enough said about why the name was given. Nothing smelly about Whakapirau now that's for sure.

Comments

  1. We really are spoilt for choice when it comes to beaches we're surrounded by. We've got both the east coast and the west coast. I love going out to Tinopai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great picture of Tinopai I took ages ago as a promotional photo for Ray Whites. My copyright so I can reproduce it. I never complain about lack of beaches that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how lovely it would be to live near a beach, any beach.:) Thanks for visiting me and leaving your friendly comments. Always good to hear from you.:)

    Take care,
    ~Salina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Salina. I love your blog!!! I think it's neat and of course I love crochet and handcrafts. So much fun.
    Summer is lovely for the beach but winter....no thanks too cold!!!
    Take care of yourself and your lovely family
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lucky can one get, Liz? You are so fortunate to live that close to such a beautiful beach!

    Best wishes,

    Renie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't be nice to have both the woods, the beach and everything we love all together. We are lucky. Few people in NZ are without a reachable distance to a coastline somewhere. We're very very fortunate indeed.
    Thanks Renie
    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts